Running from your business dreams? It’s time to stop and show up…
If you work for someone else, here’s the deal: you are not safe.
The middle class is dead. Companies are quickly replacing bodies with microchips. Forget about the self check-out at Walmart. We now have cars that drive themselves and, soon, we’ll have robot bank tellers, drone shopping carts and we won’t have to leave our homes to do anything.
Yes, we are now entering the Jetson Age. If you’re an employee, here’s the problem with that: You are riding your entire financial future on the back of a system that can’t wait to automate your work.
Why do you think freelancing is becoming the new normal?
Why is it that the time of full time tenured professors who can take sabbatical and still get paid is long gone?
Forget about pensions. They died a long time ago.
So let me say this again: working for someone else with no other form of passive income is the riskiest place you could ever live in this economy… and, yet, most employees believe they are “safe.”
You are at greater risk than you know.
And here’s the sad part: you’re gifted beyond belief. You have AT LEAST 10–20 profitable, wildly successful businesses within you. You have the capacity to focus, deliver results and build your first business as a side hustle while working full time… so why aren’t you doing it?
You’re running from your business dreams. Maybe you’ve tried before and failed. Maybe your parents tried their hand at entrepreneurship and, as a result, your family lost the house, the car, and all semblance of financial stability. Maybe you have an unsupportive spouse or you’re in massive debt or you’re afraid of dividing your time and attention between a full time job and what is likely to be a full time business.
All of your excuses no longer matter.
You are going to be replaced in your job. Maybe not immediately but definitely.
Your company wants you to know that you are disposable, replaceable and they set up the company structure so that this is true.
Your company does not want you to be exceptionally talented, to stand out and to deliver your gifts to a wide audience. Why? Because then you become irreplaceable… and they can’t have that.
It’s time to stop running from your gifts.
You have the power to become the master of your financial future.
Are you ready?
It really doesn’t matter if you’re ready. Either you’re going to start building a business (and multiple streams of revenue today) or you’re going to be at the mercy of financial ruin the moment your company finds a way to replace you. Blue pill, red pill. You choose…
So let’s say you’re finally ready to start that side business that will eventually become the main business that will eventually have at least 7 revenue streams (research shows that millionaires have at least 7 streams of revenue). You might be wondering, “Where do I start?”
I’m so glad you asked.
To show up as a new entrepreneur, you need to take the following first steps:
- Step #1: Determine your top 3 talents (What do people come to you for? What are you known for? What do you love to do and feel exceptionally great at doing? What do you find yourself coming back to in terms of skill and mentoring time and time again?)
- Step #2: Decide which of those top 3 talents can be turned into a business at the lowest cost of investment and delivered on the fastest path to cash? Throw out the idea of leasing space and opening an office. Big mistake early in business! What business product or service can you offer that requires little more than a simple website build, Paypal links for payment, and a Facebook business page and can be offered via telephone, Skype or through a webinar platform? Start small so you can grow big.
- Step #3: Figure out what you need to know (not what you want to know) and pull your educational resources together. YouTube, podcasts, Creative Live… resources that are low or no cost but will teach you what you need to know. Give yourself a one to two month time limit on learning if you’re brand new to business and no more than a six week time limit if you’ve ever done anything entrepreneurial before. DO NOT get sucked into overkill education. You will never have enough time to learn everything. Figure out your MVE (Minimal Viable Education) and do ONLY that.
- Step #4: Set up your LLC and get your EIN number. You don’t have to set up an LLC in your state and do not hire some company to create an LLC for you for $800. In most states, the cost to set up an LLC is $75 to $125. Do it yourself. Go to the IRS website and get an EIN number. Be sure to check in your town and see if you need a business license. Take care of the business legal stuff now so you don’t worry about it later.
- Step #5: Get on social media and start selling your services TODAY. The heart and soul of business is sales. If you’re not generating revenue, what you have isn’t a business; it’s a hobby. Get out there and get comfortable selling yourself by adding value to the lives of others. Teach, educate, and share. The more you help others, the bigger your business will grow.
- Step #6: Have FAITH. None of this is going to happen overnight. You’re going to fail A LOT. The thing that will keep you going when others will quit is your FAITH: your faith in yourself, your faith in God, your faith in the process of life. This is the lifeblood of your business. If you’ve got enough faith, you’ll have the stamina to persist and win. And, remember, faith is the belief in things not seen. If you have to see it to believe it, you don’t have faith.
Your job can and will be replaced. If your only source of income is from a company, you are NOT safe and future financial devastation is pretty sure to arrive. No matter how comfortable you are, it’s time for you to use your gifts and talents to develop a side hustle that will eventually become a business empire. Start today. Do the steps above. Don’t stop until you get there.
No waiting. Start today. Start now. Fortune favors the bold…
Ready to take massive action and achieve your biggest goals?
I’ve created a cheat sheet that will teach you how to take daily massive action in the presence of fear, doubt and shame. Follow the cheat sheet and you’ll change the game on your dreams and on your life.
If you liked this post, please take a moment to clap and recommend it!
Kassandra Vaughn-Worsley is an author, relentless focus coach and podcaster originally from Danbury, Connecticut. She holds a B.A. in Sociology from Vassar College, an MBA in Human Resource Management from Auburn University, and an M.Ed in Instructional Design from Western Governors University. She lives in the beautiful state of Wyoming.